Nearly-Midnight The genealogy website relating to the family. A tangled web of people all related to one another, explore!
Robert Clark The Father of Henry Martyn-Clark - A missionary out in the North-West Frontier of India. One of the first Europeans to set foot in Afganistan
Affetside Census
A small village north of Bury, Lancashire, I can trace many of my immediate ancestors from there. On the Roman Road, Watling Street
Andrew Martyn-Clark My Father and his part in my World. Also my mother and his parents too.
Henry Martyn-Clark My Great Grandfather, his roots and his achievements. Discusses malaria but also his confrontations with Islam.

Update!


Many photographs have been added! LazylikeSunday.net home page lists them Please copy and reuse them - a link to LazylikeSunday will be much appreciated!

Friday 4 March 2011

PEEL TOWER


I could see this monument, known as Peel Tower from my house. I suppose I saw it every day for nigh on 20 years. As lads we had managed to scramble in the bottom bit and even get to the parapet.The stairs, those that were left were frightening. It wasn't to this year that I finally got inside and had a look up and down. It is cold, damp and if it wasn't lit it would be scary. There is nearly 200 steps to the top. However the signal on the mobile is superb! The actual monument cost £900 pounds to build. The tower was opened by Rossendale Mountain rescue that day. They charged a £1 to go in and climb to the top!
When the flag is flying the tower is open. There are more pictures in the datastore here.


Looking down the inside of Peel Tower
Peel Tower from the West
Peel's Speech on the "ground floor"
More distant view of the Tower
PEEL MONUMENT, HOLCOMBE
ERECTED 1852
IN MEMORY OF SIR ROBERT PEEL

"It may be that I shall leave a name sometimes remembered with expressions of good will in the abodes of those , whose lot it is to labour, and to earn their daily bread with the sweat of their brow-when they shall recruit their exhausted strength with abundant and untaxed food the sweeter, because it is no longer leavened with a sense of injustice"

EXTRACT FROM SPEECH OF SIR ROBERT PEEL, DELIVERED IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
JANUARY 27th 1846

No comments:

Post a Comment