There is a memorial on the sea front of Southport too. There are three memorials in Lytham St. Annes. As I have said somewhere before, a friend is a direct descendent of one of the crew from that St Annes Lifeboat.
These are the pictures of the Southport Duke Street memorial:
|The memorial is set in its own oval lawn.|
|WHILE ERECTING HERE , |
AT ST ANNES AND AT LYTHAM,
MEMORIALS OF THE COURAGEOUS
BRAVERY OF THOSE WHO PERISHED
IN THIS TERRIBLE DISASTER,
THEIR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN
ADEQUATELY PROVIDED FOR
THE SUPPORT OF THEIR
WIDOWS AND ORPHANS.
|tHE OPPOSITE SIDE TO THE INSCRIPTION|
|FOUR DETAILED VIEWS OF THE CARVING|
|SIMILAR VIEW TO THE WIKIPEDIA PICTURE.|
Not done the research yet but this memorial may well be linked to the Southport lifeboat that was lost the "Eliza Fearnley" This memorial is also in the Duke St. Cemetery. These are the photos of the Eliza Fearnley memorial.
|In Memory of|
JAMES WOOD FERNLEY
ONLY CHILD OF
JOHN AND ELIZA FERNLEY
DIED APRIL 16TH 1837
AGED 13 MONTHS
REINTERRED HERE JUNE 25TH 1856
OF SUCH IS THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
|Sacred to the Memory of |
BORN APRIL 12TH 1796
DIED JANUARY 16TH 1873
SAVED THROUGH FAITH
RICH IN GOOD WORKS
|Sacred to the Memory of|
THE BELOVED WIFE OF
JOHN FERNLEY, ESQ
OF CLAIRVILLE, BIRKDALE PARK
BORN AUGUST 15TH 1805
DIED DECEMBER 29TH 1869
ETERNAL WEIGHT OF GLORY
This article was published in the Southport visitor in 2008:
Devout Methodist, John Fernley, made his mark on Southport
Aug 22 2008 by Robert Alcock, Southport Visitor
DEVOUT Methodist John Fernley – one of Southport’s great benefactors – built the Old School House in 1864 for £4,000.
It was one of three houses, along with the adjoining Trinity Chapel, that Fernley built that year but is the only one still to stand.
The 1944 Education Act meant that Trinity Hall ceased to be a day school, its pupils left and only the Sunday School continued.
In 1962 the Old School House was put into the private sector for £1,950, while all the other parts of the great complex built by Fernley were demolished in 1981.
Fernley, a man of wealth, left a string of other significant marks on Southport.
It was he who constructed the meteorological observatory in Hesketh Park, which has now been refurbished.
Fernley was also a committee member of the RNLI and donated the Eliza Fernley lifeboat (named in honour of his late wife) to the town.
The boat would later be lost with nearly all its crew in the great Mexico Disaster of 1886.
Born in Stockport in 1796, Fernley dedicated his life to spreading the principles of Wesleyan Methodism and moved with Eliza to Southport in 1856.
Upon Fernley’s death in 1873, the Reverend W B Pope wrote in memorial: “Mr Fernley was as resolute and tenacious carrying out his plans as he was large minded in framing them.
“Nothing ever turned him aside from a single project that he had well considered and finally determined on.”